Friday, July 11, 2008

Erin's Log Day 1: Corn Shopping, etc.

I have returned from corn shopping. I took my little sister with me to Earth Fare and while I perused the corn on the cob selection (10 cobs for $1.60--take THAT Larry!) she chanted the word "corn" for the entire shopping trip. I also picked up some yellow corn grits (ingredients: ground corn), an on sale can of corn, and this ridiculously expensive container of organic freeze dried corn. My plan is to use the grits and freeze dried corn to make my corn patties, and maybe a soup. We'll see how that goes.

When I returned home, I looked up "Corn" in the Joy of Cooking and got some good ideas. They had directions for oven roasted corn that I tried out. I made a sauce of lemon juice, garlic salt, and a bit of oregano and brushed it on the cobs, wrapped them in tin foil, and cooked them in the oven at 450 degrees for 8 minutes, turning every so often. It was pretty good, I would cook it for longer next time. The lemon juice really added that *something* that butter (or "butter" as it would be in my case) usually fills.

So far, so good!

4 comments:

Larry said...

So, we are eating grits if they are just "ground corn"?

Erin Brown said...

I was thinking so. Does that sound reasonable?

Kerry said...

I say do grits... especially if the only ingredient is ground corn.

Larry said...

Yea, I'll do it.

It is just like drying the corn then chewing it really well, drying it again, then boiling it in water.Seems natural...