Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jill's Movie CORNer



Children of the Corn
This movie made its debut in 1984, before our brave corn eater Erin was born. I remember my first taste of these sequels of movies. I was in high school, gym class to be exact and it was one of those days at the end of the year that the teachers didn't feel like doing a damn thing. So, my typical lesbian gym teacher decides to treat us with a showing of Children of the Corn Stephen King wrote this originally as a short story only later to become a movie worthy of talking about on this blog ONLY because it relates to corn. Well, actually only the title really. Anyways, the movie takes place in Nebraska where the future Jim Jones aka Malachai gets the local children in town to kill all of their parents. To tell you the truth, I don't know what teenage kid DIDN'T want to be a part of this town one time or another. I remember laughing hysterically when the kid gets hit by the car and goes flying ahead. Call me cruel if you will, but its only a damn movie people! OK so I gave the beginning away before I even explained it.
So a couple is traveling down the road in this town and hits this kid with their car. The woman winds up falling into the ruthless hands of the kid cult. So it goes on how the man tries to get the woman back, some useless sacrificial rituals, a creature which may have been the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz in disguise,Malachai gets a free chiropractic session on his neck and a Molotov cocktail to top it all off! The field goes up in flames, killing whatever and the couple thinks its a great idea for some kids to go live with them....blah, blah, blah, some evil kid survives the blaze and goes after them. So, there's like 6 more movies full of this crap you can watch if you didn't get your fix from this one.

3 comments:

Larry said...

Ironically, I watched this movie at a church youth group function.

Erin Brown said...

I refuse to watch movies older than I am.

Kerry said...

I love that Jill's gym class showed this movie... this actually explains a lot.