Thursday, July 10, 2008

What's for breakfast?

Well I'm back from corn shopping. The good news is that corn on the cob was on special at the Kroger so I got 18 ears for 6 dollars. I also got a bag of frozen corn on sale. The weird looks I got were free. I couldn't find any plain pop corn. Some zit-faced clerk told me he didn't think they "made" it anymore. I decided to save my energy and not argue with him SINCE I'M EATING NOTHING BUT CORN FOR THE NEXT WEEK!!!!!!

A serving of corn is 2/3 of a cup according to my package (why not a full cup?). This golden helping contains 100 calories of cob-picking energy. Not surprisingly, corn has very little fat, only one gram. It has 21 grams of carbs that could be converted into ethanol and sold as wildly overrated biofuel. That serving has one gram of fiber which I suspect is contained in the husk and gives corn poop that distinctive look. Three grams of protein are modestly contributed by the maize portion. Corn has no Vitamin A so we risk rickets with this experiment. It also lacks Calcium and Iron. Therefore, I will likely be anemic and osteoporific by week's end. Corn does have Vitamin C so scurvy should be avoidable.

My last non-corn food for a while was a large bowl of awesome. Also known as, Breyer's peach ice cream.

3 comments:

Erin Brown said...

I had way too many oreos and a lone banana as my last non-corn meal. I agree with you though, Breyer's peach ice cream IS a half gallon of pure awesome. Good move, sir.

Alrenous said...

I found plain popcorn, no-name, right next to the regular popcorn in my grocery store.

I think it's actually pretty cool that you can still buy it, and actually there's tons of very low-tech food you can buy after a bit of looking.

Elaine said...

It's right there, on the bottom shelf, underneath all the microwave popcorn.